Affiliated with

Follow us on:

Enquiry List

0 Properties Added

Send Clear

LIVE Statistics
Halls of Residence


We understand how stressful moving in to your off-campus accommodation can be. Therefore, to help you on your way we've put together selection of moving in tips.



It's easy to forget this, but do a meter reading for your gas and electricity when you move in. This way, you can pass this on to the suppliers to ensure you aren't charged for the previous occupants' usage.

If you have the cost of the bills included in your rent payment, the landlord will either keep the utility bills in their name and pay them on your behalf or request that the bills are put in the tenants’ names and the paper bills be passed to the landlord for payment.

Either way, it’s important that you keep track of how much fuel you are using. We recommend you take meter readings on a monthly basis. You may want to supply this information to the energy supplier and landlord, to ensure that the bills are not estimated. Energy providers usually over-estimate usage, so you could end up paying more than what you should.



Your mains water tap, or stopcock, is the off-switch for all the water in your home. Hopefully you'll never need to use it. But if you don't know where it is and a pipe bursts, you'll be powerless to stop it flooding your home.

If you don't know where yours is, check NOW. It could be under the kitchen sink, by the boiler, in the airing cupboard or elsewhere in the property. If you don't know where it is, ask your landlord to show you.



When you move into the property make an inventory/condition report of all the furniture and the condition of all the fixtures and fittings. The landlord/agent may provide a pro forma to you. You should do this even if the landlord does not request an inventory.

We also recommend that you take dated photographs of any disrepair or damage, however minor you might consider it to be. We recommend that you sign the inventory and email or post this to the landlord/agent. This will mean that there is a written record of the landlord being informed of the condition of the property at the very beginning of the tenancy.

Towards the end of the tenancy you should arrange for the landlord to inspect the property or alternatively if this is not possible complete another inventory/condition report and send this to the landlord again.



Check to see if the landlord has provided use manuals for the use of the boiler and other appliances as it’s important that you know how to use them correctly to prevent damage. If not, request them from the landlord or download them from the internet.



If you rent, whether an entire property or a room in a shared property, you must be covered by a valid TV licence to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV, whether that’s online, on a TV, or on any other device such as a laptop.

If there’s a joint tenancy agreement for the whole house, you may only need one licence. However, you may need your own licence if your accommodation is self-contained – i.e. you have exclusive access to washing facilities or you have your own entrance to the property.

If you have an individual tenancy agreement for your room, you’ll need to be covered by a separate licence.

Usually you'll have to organise this yourself (or between yourselves if in a shared house). But speak to the landlord first, as they may already have a licence for the property.

Contact TV Licensing for more information



Make sure you are prepared should an emergency arise:

*  Plan an escape route and make sure everyone knows how to escape.

*  Make sure exits are kept clear

*  The best route is the normal way in and out of your home

*  Think of a second route in case the first one is blocked

*  Take a few minutes to practice your escape plan.

*  Review your plan if the layout of your home changes.

*  Keep the door and window keys where everyone can find them, however, do not leave keys in door locks as this could attract burglars.

Home Stamp, Kent Union, Mandela Building, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NW
Tel Main: : 01227 823214, Email:

Copyright Studentpad Limited © 2019. All rights reserved.

Student accommodation search powered by

Studentpad Ltd
Please Wait...