Affiliated with

Follow us on:

Enquiry List

0 Properties Added

Send Clear

LIVE Statistics
Halls of Residence


A tenancy agreement is a contract between you and a landlord, although many agreements will also include the details of a managing agent as well.

The tenancy agreement gives certain rights to both you and your landlord, for example, your right to occupy the accommodation and your landlord's right to receive rent for letting the accommodation. It lets you live in a property as long as you pay rent and follow the rules. It also sets out the legal terms and conditions of your tenancy.

We recommend that you get a written tenancy agreement from your landlord or agent and it should be signed by both you and your landlord. The landlord should provide you with a copy of the agreement.

If there are joint tenants on your contract, then it is recommended that each of you should receive a copy of the agreement.



A tenancy can either be a fixed-term (running for a set period of time) or periodic (running on a week-by-week or month-by-month basis).

The most common form of tenancy is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST). Most new tenancies are automatically this type.

Your landlord can only evict you with a court order.



If you and your housemates are all listed on one tenancy agreement with a landlord, then you will have a joint tenancy.

Tenants are jointly and individually responsible for paying the rent and for any damage to the property. If a tenant does not pay their share or leaves then the other tenants may be required to pay the outstanding rent amount.

If no rent is paid by any of the tenants, the landlord can pursue any of the tenants for the full amount. If a tenant wants to move out before the end of the contract, it is up to all tenants to find a replacement or they can agree to continue with the tenancy but covering the extra rent.

If a replacement tenant is needed, all existing tenants must agree to the new tenant. In a joint contract, landlords cannot evict one tenant without evicting all of the others.

If you have any problems paying your rent or continuing to live in a property, always talk to your landlord at the earliest opportunity.



If each of you signed a separate agreement with the landlord, then you will have individual tenancies.

You are only responsible for paying your own rent. You will be responsible for paying for any damage within your own room and an appropriate share of any damage in communal areas (unless another tenant accepts responsibility). If another tenant moves out you will have no say over who replaces them.

If you wish to move out before the end of your contract, the landlord may agree to release you, but you may have to find a replacement.

Home Stamp, Kent Union, Mandela Building, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NW
Tel Main: : 01227 823214, Email:

Copyright Studentpad Limited © 2019. All rights reserved.

Student accommodation search powered by

Studentpad Ltd
Please Wait...